Natural breast augmentation with fat transfer is a contouring procedure that repurposes a patient’s own fat to enhance the size of the breasts. This alternative to synthetic implants increases volume in the breasts by removing fat from problem areas, preparing it for transfer, and injecting the fat into the breast.  Patients enjoy a natural look and feel while avoiding the risks that accompany silicone implants. Best of all, patients can count on fewer incisions, minimal downtime, and long-lasting results that don’t require additional surgeries in the future.
Dr. Steven Cohen of FACES+ offers patients in the San Diego area and beyond a chance to adjust their image and achieve the breasts they’ve always dreamed of–naturally! Interested patients ready to explore the benefits of this treatment should come to our office for an initial consultation. Schedule a meeting by reaching us at (858) 453-7224.
- 1 About a Natural Breast Augmentation with Fat Transfer
- 2 Other Benefits of Breast Augmentation with Fat Transfer
- 3 Ideal Candidates
- 4 Personal Consultation with Dr. Cohen
- 5 Preparation
- 6 Procedure
- 7 Recovery
- 8 Results
- 9 Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
- 10 Cost of a Natural Breast Augmentation in San Diego, CA
- 11 References
About a Natural Breast Augmentation with Fat Transfer
Using a patient’s own tissue to increase the size of the breasts isn’t a new idea. As early as 1895, doctors attempted to reconstruct a patient’s breast after a mastectomy using a lipoma. Over the next near century, doctors continued to explore the potential of fat for correcting deformities in the body. Once liposuction technology allowed surgeons to safely remove larger amounts of adipose tissue, fat transfers became a popular way to correct congenital, developmental, or acquired soft tissue concerns.  Today, fat transfers are continued to be used for reconstructive purposes but are also quickly gaining popularity as a valuable tool for cosmetic procedures.
Fat can be harvested from donor sites either by using liposuction or syringe extraction, depending on the amount of fat needed and the patient’s aesthetic goals.
Common Fat Donor Areas
In the procedure, fat is then gently suctioned out from these areas. It will be sent through a purification process to filter the fat and prepare it for injection into the breast. The fat is placed in strategic areas in the breast mound to increase volume, and enhance the shape. The result is a natural-looking size increase for the breast and subtle reductions in the donor sites. While a natural breast augmentation can’t necessarily offer the high-impact effect of silicone implants, it does offer several advantages. Women concerned about the safety of synthetic implants can still achieve a more voluptuous bustline with this approach.
Risks Avoided with Natural Breast Augmentation
- Breast Implant Illness
- Capsular Contracture
- Implant Rupture
- Implant replacement
Other Benefits of Breast Augmentation with Fat Transfer
There are few adverse effects with the fat transfer because the treatment uses patients’ own fat, which is biocompatible. Fat transfers are also becoming a popular way to harness the power of autologous stem cells. These regenerative factors are naturally occurring in adipose cells, and can differentiate to provide restorative benefits to the surrounding tissues.
Patients that have chosen to part with their synthetic implants can retain their curves with a fat transfer. Women that have implants placed subglandularly but have little tissue in the area can benefit from a fat transfer as an addition to their implants. Carefully injected fat can prevent rippling caused by larger implants and mask the visible edges of an implant for an overall more natural appearance.
Healthy candidates looking to address breast size and uneven body contours may eligible for this procedure. Scheduling a personal consultation with Dr. Cohen will provide detailed information on patient requirements. Eligibility for this procedure requires:
- Being in good health without a history of underlying breast conditions such as cancer
- Having a desire to enlarge the breasts without implants
- Having sufficient fat deposits in donor areas
- Not currently pregnant or nursing
- Being within a stable weight
- Understanding the kind of results a natural breast augmentation will provide
Personal Consultation with Dr. Cohen
The first step in your aesthetic makeover journey is to schedule a personal meeting with Dr. Cohen at FACES+. This is your opportunity to discuss your concerns and learn more about the treatment’s possibilities! First, we’ll ask you questions regarding your health, lifestyle, and past surgeries. Dr. Cohen will then examine your distinctive features, evaluate breast symmetry and skin quality, and identify which potential donor areas to extract fat. Once he has all the information needed, he will explain how the treatment will help your specific case.
Patients have the choice to reach us directly at (858) 453-7224 or fill out our online form to schedule an appointment. If you’re unable to meet with us in person, we can schedule a virtual consultation.
Before your augmentation procedure, you will be asked to complete a few steps to ensure a smooth procedure, speedy recovery, and beautiful results. General pre-procedure requirements include
- Abstaining from nicotine usage
- Adjusting your current medication as instructed
- Arrange for a ride home from a friend or family member when surgery is complete
- Filling any prescribed medication in advance
- Taking the necessary time off from work to focus on rest and healing
To further prepare for your surgery, we encourage you to follow the Faces+ blog for helpful tips and more information about the latest trends in aesthetic medicine.
We’ll first get patients comfortable by administering the appropriate anesthesia. A fat transfer can be performed with local anesthesia and a sedative, or under full general anesthesia. Once it has taken effect, Dr. Cohen will make small incisions in the donor areas and begin to harvest the fat.
- Fat Harvesting: Dr. Cohen will place a slender cannula inside the incision to reach the store of fat, which will be infiltrated with a tumescent fluid to aid in fat removal. Gentle suction will remove unwanted pockets of fat from the treatment area. Special care is taken to minimize trauma to the surrounding tissues and ensure symmetry and smooth contours in the donor areas. The incisions will then be closed and dressed with bandages.
- Fat Processing: The suctioned fat will be sent through a centrifugation process to separate the fat into layers and isolate the fat for injection. Dr. Cohen utilizes the Tulip system, which allows him to perform the proprietary Cohen Method. This advanced technology allows him to filter and transform the donor fat into the ideal filler for breast tissue.
- Injection: The newly processed fat is prepared in delicate syringes and injected into the breast tissue at multiple locations and levels.  Dr. Cohen can sculpt the breasts according to the patient’s desires. Adding fat to the inner portions of the breast can enhance cleavage, while other patients may benefit from injections to the lower breast pole for a rounder breast shape.
Once Dr. Cohen feels confident about your results, he will secure your results with a surgical bra. Once the effects of the anesthesia have dissipated, and you’ve been given the green light, you’ll be able to return home.
Within 1-2 weeks, you should be able to rejoin activities that don’t require too much physical strain. You’ll return to Faces+ for follow-up appointments so that Dr. Cohen can monitor your progress and ensure that you are healing satisfactorily. It’s vital to avoid placing any pressure on your breasts to ensure the grafted fat’s survival and even results. Continue wearing the post-surgical garments as instructed. Once Dr. Cohen has determined that you’ve fully recovered, you’ll be able to return to your regular activities.
Over the next few weeks, patients will see symptoms quickly dissipate, and their new results come into view. Natural breast augmentation with a fat transfer will provide your breast profile with increased natural-looking volume, and you’ll be able to enjoy your new contours and confidence for years to come!
Corresponding & Complementary Procedures
Faces+ offers a variety of breast contouring treatments so that patients have options when seeking to enhance their breast profile. When developing your unique plan, Dr. Cohen may propose other helpful procedures. They include:
Breast Augmentation with Implants
Although breast augmentations with fat transfers are gaining popularity as an alternative to synthetic implants, they aren’t suitable for everyone. Patients who don’t have enough body fat and are seeking more dramatic results may require implants to achieve their goals. Dr. Cohen performs breast augmentations with implants for those wanting more dramatic results. A consultation with Dr. Cohen will determine your incision technique and the type of implants used to create the right aesthetic for you.
A breast lift corrects sagging and asymmetrical breasts caused by pregnancy, aging, weight changes, or genetics. The treatment removes excess skin and elevates the breasts higher on the chest wall for an improved, perkier appearance.
Cost of a Natural Breast Augmentation in San Diego, CA
The final cost of your treatment will be based on your specific case. FACES+ will take the time to address pricing concerns at your consultation. Or, you can call ahead to receive an accurate quote.
- Bayram, Y., Sezgic, M., Karakol, P., Bozkurt, M., & Filinte, G. T. (2019). The use of autologous fat grafts in breast surgery: A literature review. Archives of Plastic Surgery, 46(6), 498–510. https://doi.org/10.5999/aps.2019.00416
- Davis, M. J., Perdanasari, A. T., Abu-Ghname, A., Gonzalez, S. R., Chamata, E., Rammos, C. K., & Winocour, S. J. (2020). Application of Fat Grafting in Cosmetic Breast Surgery. Seminars in Plastic Surgery, 34(01), 024–029. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7023973/